7.16.2007

Rocky Mountain Rides


With the Tour de France running nonstop on the Versus network in my house, I've been motivated to do big miles on Saturdays and Sundays. This past weekend, I added altitude to my summer training, and got a chance to ride up Mount Evans in Colorado. At 14,240 feet, the peak is one of 54 "14ers" (www.14ers.com) in the state. That's 54 mountains taller than 14,000 feet. By contast, the tallest point in San Diego County is below 6,000 feet (Palomar Mountain or Laguna Mountain). Sitting in Boulder, Colorado, as I write this, I'm @ 5,400 feet. The views from Mount Evans are spectacular (photo above), the wind incredible, the road narrow but fair. I recommend adding this to your list of places to ride if you love going uphill. Two other great rides that I also got to experience include Brainard Lake (11,000+ feet) from North Boulder. Don't forget to stop at the store in Ward, donate a couple bucks to the water cooler fund and sample a chocolate chip cookie. The other ride worth doing is Jamestown, also via North Boulder, providing a gradual climb to about 8,000+ feet). The combination of trees, vistas and descents are a welcome change from Southern California.

No comments: